Proper brushing and flossing as part of your daily oral care routine are the important components in keeping your teeth plaque-free – and protecting your teeth and gums for a lifetime.
Check out Fortitude Valley Dentist Tips: Top 4 Amazing Benefits of Brushing & Flossing below.
1. Whiter Teeth and Brighter Smile!
Every day, plaque build-up leads to tartar and stains.
Proper brushing and flossing can remove plaque before it hardens to tartar, keeping your smile healthy and bright!
2. Fresh Breath!
No one loves bad breath!
Oral bacteria can produce an embarrassing and unhealthy odour.
Brushing and flossing help fight the bacteria that cause bad breath and tooth decay!
3. Healthy, Firm Gums!
Brushing cleans teeth, gums, and where they meet.
Flossing cleans between and underneath the surfaces of the teeth and gums.
Unhealthy gums can cause gum disease with severe problems in your mouth and body.
4. Save Money!
Proper dental care saves money.
Good dental habits help prevent problems that may require extra visits to your dentist.
With proper at-home dental care, you reduce the cost of dental treatments!
Brushing and Flossing: Oral Hygiene Techniques for a Better Oral Health
Brush your teeth twice a day using a toothbrush with soft bristles and fluoride toothpaste.
The size and shape of your brush must fit your mouth to be able to reach all areas easily.
Change your toothbrush once every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are worn or frayed.
How to brush your teeth properly
- Tilt your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums.
- Move your brush back and forth gently.
- Brush all the surfaces of the teeth.
- Tilt the brush vertically and make gentle strokes in cleaning the inner surfaces of the front teeth.
Brushing your teeth is just one of the few important steps of a proper oral care routine. Do not forget to:
- Clean between teeth daily once a day. Tooth decay-causing bacteria remain between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. This helps remove plaque and food debris from teeth and gumline.
- Maintain a balanced diet. Limit the intake of sugary beverages and snacks.
- See your Fortitude Valley dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease.
Flossing should be a required part of your daily routine. While brushing can help erode the bacteria on some of your teeth, some areas will be missed if you don’t floss.
This bacteria causes gum disease and tooth decay, and when it combines with your saliva and food, it creates plaque, a transparent, colourless film that sticks to your teeth.
How to floss
- Start with about 18 inches of floss, wind most of the floss around each middle finger. Leave an inch or two of floss to work with.
- Hold the floss taut between your thumbs and index fingers. Slide it gently up-and-down between your teeth.
- Curve the floss around the base of each tooth, making sure you go underneath the gumline. Never snap or force the floss. This may cut or bruise fragile gum tissues.
- Use a new section as you move from each tooth.
- Use the same motion to bring the floss up and away from the teeth.
Brushing and flossing help keep your smile beautiful, save money, and even save your life!
Experience fresher breath, healthier gums, and stronger teeth at Precision Dental!
Dental Health at Precision Dental!
At Precision Dental, we provide the finest and best ethical care, giving patients the chance to make fully informed decisions regarding their course of treatment.
The three fundamental principles that underlie our practice are honesty, patient comfort, and quality.
To support these principles, we begin treatment by building strong relationships with our patients. We are open, honest, and non-biased. We accept no substandard materials, shortcuts, or unhappy surprises.
Patient comfort is another crucial aspect of our values that contribute to the dentist-patient relationship. At Precision Dental, we know the dental experience can be overwhelming for some individuals.
To alleviate these anxieties, we provide gentle, patient-oriented care, that uses modern technologies, tools, and techniques.
Dr Bill Choi has over 15 years of experience and is registered with the Dental Board of Australia. He is a member of the Australian Dental Association, Australian Society of Implant Dentistry, and the Australian Association of Laser Dentistry.
Visit Precision Dental today!
We are located at S13, HQ South Tower, 520 Wickham St in Fortitude Valley.