What is Dental Health Week?
Dental Health Week is an annual oral health campaign in Australia promoted by the Australian Dental Association (ADA).
This campaign aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least two times every day with a fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for check-ups and preventive care.
The main focus of this year’s campaign is on the dangers sugar does to one’s oral health, aiming to help Australians to ‘get sugar savvy’.
This includes recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid foods and beverages with additional sugars.
- Choose oods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when buying foods and drinks.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
While drinking, smoking, drug intake and other harmful factors can take a toll on a person’s oral health, with a little education on good hygiene habits and a healthy diet, the pain and expense of tooth decay is almost preventable.
Sadly, the Australian Dental Association found that many Australians aren’t practising good oral health.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once a day.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
There are several ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week this year. Contact your Fortitude Valley dentist today!
A visit to your trusted dentist is great for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
Dental Health at Precision Dental!
At Precision Dental, we provide the finest and best ethical care, giving patients the chance to make fully informed decisions regarding their course of treatment.
The three fundamental principles that underlie our practice are honesty, patient comfort, and quality.
To support these principles, we begin treatment by building strong relationships with our patients.
We are open, honest, and non-biased. We accept no substandard materials, shortcuts, or unhappy surprises.
Patient comfort is another crucial aspect of our values that contribute to the dentist-patient relationship.
At Precision Dental, we know the dental experience can be overwhelming for some individuals.
To alleviate these anxieties, we provide gentle, patient-oriented care, that uses modern technologies, tools, and techniques.
Dr Bill Choi has over 15 years of experience and is registered with the Dental Board of Australia.
He is a member of the Australian Dental Association, Australian Society of Implant Dentistry, and the Australian Association of Laser Dentistry.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Fortitude Valley
Visit Precision Dental today!
We are located at S13, HQ South Tower, 520 Wickham St in Fortitude Valley.