What is an Overbite?
Overbites happen when the upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth. Oftentimes, an overbite can appear to be a problem with crooked teeth when, in fact, the person’s teeth and jaws are not lining up correctly.
Overbites are easier to correct in children and teenagers since their jaws are still developing.
A lot of people don’t realise that they have an overbite, as they believe their condition is not serious enough to seek dental attention. This could also be because other cases of overbites are so minor to be noticeable.
What Happens If I Don’t Treat It?
Untreated overbites may lead to the following dental problems:
- Bottom front teeth may harm the gums above the top front teeth
- Speech impediments
- May cause jaw problems
- Unattractive smile
Overbite Correction Treatments
For Children and Teenagers
- Removal of baby teeth to make room for permanent teeth to grow in straight
- Growth modification device – helps to position the jaw
- Braces – move the teeth to correct the overbite as well as the jaw
- Retainers – a device used after braces that help to keep the teeth in place
- Braces – move the teeth to fix an overbite
- Teeth extraction – dentists try to avoid this procedure but will do this in very severe cases to allow the teeth to move
- Surgery – jaw problems for bone-type overbites can only be corrected with surgery for adults
Benefits of Treating Overbites
- Straighter teeth and better bite
- More attractive smile & improved facial appearance
- Healthier teeth and gums
Overbite must be fixed as soon as possible. It’s never too late to correct your bite and your smile.
For any bite problems or malocclusions, don’t hesitate to see your dentist immediately.
To know more about the causes and effects of overbite to your oral health, visit your Fortitude Valley dentist today here at Precision Dental.
Our top-notch orthodontics treatments offer high-quality solutions to various factors that affect your smile and the aesthetics of your teeth.
Dental Health at Precision Dental!
At Precision Dental, we provide the finest and best ethical care, giving patients the chance to make fully informed decisions regarding their course of treatment.
The three fundamental principles that underlie our practice are honesty, patient comfort, and quality.
To support these principles, we begin treatment by building strong relationships with our patients. We are open, honest, and non-biased. We accept no substandard materials, shortcuts, or unhappy surprises.
Patient comfort is another crucial aspect of our values that contribute to the dentist-patient relationship. At Precision Dental, we know the dental experience can be overwhelming for some individuals.
To alleviate these anxieties, we provide gentle, patient-oriented care, that uses modern technologies, tools, and techniques.
Dr Bill Choi has over 15 years of experience and is registered with the Dental Board of Australia. He is a member of the Australian Dental Association, Australian Society of Implant Dentistry, and the Australian Association of Laser Dentistry.
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Fortitude Valley
Visit Precision Dental today!
We are located at S13, HQ South Tower, 520 Wickham St in Fortitude Valley.